April 1st, 2012
|11:37 am - New Zealand, as reviewed by artbroken age 41 and a couple of weeks|
Just got back yesterday from a 5-day business trip to New Zealand.
My thoughts on the nation are as follows.
- It's just ridiculously beautiful
- Good food
- Monteith's Winter Ale
- Winding mountain roads with sheer drops and breathtaking views
- Getting a better understanding of the NZ education system and market
- Flying over a motherfucking volcano (albeit a dormant one)
- The growing degree to which Maori-based culture and language is integrated into English-based culture and language
So on balance, the ineffable ledger points strongly towards the PRO column. I'd like to head back someday and spend more time in Wellington with emrhyck, maybe check out the South Island too. I'll just have to bring my own coffee.
- Working so much I didn't have time to explore the beautiful bits properly
- Mediocre coffee
- Lion Red (like a glass of cold water with a head on it)
- Auckland (or at least the bit where I was staying)
- Concrete motorways all over the place
- How complicated the NZ education system and market is
- Needing to fly and drive for hours at a time just to meet everyone on my contact list
- Everyone talks about rugby all the time and I don't understand any of it
|Date:||April 1st, 2012 02:08 am (UTC)|| |
We really didn't see much of Auckland, except for people doing some weird bouncy thing outside our hotel windows. But also a production of Cabaret, which was worth a bit.
There is so good coffee in Wellington!
I would have if any had been open past 4pm!
I found North Island in general takes its coffee VERY seriously. And Wellington is the best of the bunch. I'd put it ahead of Melbourne, actually.
|Date:||April 1st, 2012 10:01 am (UTC)|| |
maybe check out the South Island too.
Yes. Do it.
(Posting from Dunedin)